The Darwich Fetish Edition
• Etymology of smith
The word smith is cognate with the somewhat archaic English word, "smite", meaning "to hit" or "to strike".
Originally, smiths practiced their crafts by forming metal with hammer blows. As an English suffix, -smith connotes a meaning of specialized craftsmen.
→ smithereens : fragments, splintered pieces, numerous tiny disconnected items, atoms, smithers, small pieces... [to knock, smash sth. (in)to smithereens].
• Biography (up-dated 2015)
Multi-instrumentalist and composer using electronic devices, digital percussives, vinyls, anvils, gongs, sirens, drums, piano... (1)
also (un)known as Ijnveïq de Ernestine, Tlü Ejtko, Phrenq, Qiipnm'id Yorgomnüg... Franck Smith runs the private recording collection Odiolorgnette
and works as an independant artist in electronic fields, experimental audiovisual contexts and soundtrack production...
Member of the dual electronic unit Zn'shñ and co-founder of visual production Rosebruit...
Also active under the pseudonym Zviij as a sound artist and noise designer...
He performs with the electronic music duet ZA (2015-)...
As Zviij F. Smith, he releases "The Windmill Syndrome", a series of solo works for electric guitar & electronics...
(1) Current setup [...]
BOOKING & CONTACT: odiolorgnette AT hotmail DOT com
CD PRODUCTION IS NOW LIMITED. FOR NEW AUDIO RELEASES PLEASE SEE ALSO DIGITAL PUBLISHING SECTION.
* Back-catalog is still available for order in Discography section.
¶ New(s) & release(s) :
- Zviij F. Smith : "Psithurism" (The Windmill Syndrome, volume I) [Album/Digital]
Conceived as an incomplete sound-diary, The windmill syndrome is a series of solo works for electric guitar
and electronics. This first volume titled "Psithurism" (adaptation from Ancient Greek meaning "The sound of the
wind whispering in the trees" or "The sound of rustling leaves") is a 21-part nocturnal piece between subtle
electro-acoustic chamber music and imaginary ballet soundtrack.
Composed & performed by Zviij / Franck Smith (electric guitar, electronics).
Recorded & mixed in February 2016 (Brussels).
Mastering by C-drík at Syrphe (Berlin).
Cover photo by Elvire Smith-Bastendorff
Inside photo by Laurent D'Havé
Download content: 21 tracks, 2 photos, 1 text file
A Zviij by Smith production
* Available only in digital format.
* See details [...]
Cover by Elvire Smith-Bastendorff © 2015
* Zviij @ Noosphere / Photo © Laurent D'Havé.
* ZA (Zviij & Ataraxi), Live Set in Brussels © 2015.
* Zviij (Franck Smith) "Eyes wide open" © 2015.
Dance : Yuko Kominami / Video : Elvire Bastendorff / Soundtrack : Franck Smith
- Drumsynth manipulations by Zviij [video]
- Radiophoniam habebat by Zviij [video]
- Zviij : "Mannequin shop" (Album/Digital) November 2013
Real-time mixing & sonic manipulations directly recorded on 1 stereo track and slightly edited
before mastering. Featuring Zviij's "twin performance sampler" setup (made of two Elektron Octatrack
units in chain plus a Moog Slim Phatty Analog synthesizer). Contents: alternative electronics, digital
beat-making, analog synth sequencing, drum-synth playing, subtle glitches, electro-acoustic sampling,
- Hugues Vincent : "Early electroacoustic works"
Reissue of (cellist, improviser and electronic user) Hugues Vincent's 2 first solo cd publications on 1 disc.
"Early electroacoustic works" contains "Phonoscope & fabulettes" (2007) and "Tales of Noboru" 2008).
+ Still available:
"Onkyo no hako" (from Japanese, meaning "sound box") is a radical and beautiful portrait of cellist Hugues Vincent.
From subtle bow techniques to raw material for strings, this 3rd solo recording displays a collection of very personal
ways of playing recorded live in studio. A rare music for solo cello drifting between immediacy and austerity.
* "Early electroacoustic works" (2007/2008) and "Onkyo no hako" (2010),
2 CDs by Hugues Vincent (Odiolorgnette, Soliloq Edition).
- Zviij : "Empty chamber" (EP/Live) (Album/Digital) February 2013
Live recordings mixing instrumental chamber music and alternative electronics.
Featuring electro-acoustic sampling, analog bass synth sequencing and discrete bitcrushing.
Directly recorded in 2-stereo tracks and softly remastered before production.
- Zviij : "Dust games and plastic doll" (Album/Digital) December 2012
Hybrid electronic works between experimental digital beat-making, electro-acoustic sampling,
analog synth sequencing and discrete bitcrushing. Also featuring some of the latest soundtracks
(stereo remixed and edited) from Zviij's "Elektron Tapes" video series.
- The Elektron Tapes (#9) by Zviij [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#8) by Zviij [video]
- Glitch Breaks & Drum-Screens by Zviij [video]
* Slideshow : Zviij (Franck Smith) at home with his Elektron based setup & his Chapman Stick #5881 36"-scale Ten String Grand® in graphite © 2011-2012.
- Zviij : "Quadrifolium" (Album/Digital) May 2012
Alternative & ambient works around timbric studies
featuring real-time manipulations of hybrid digital electronics,
analog synths and electro-mechanical piano. A quiet and downtempo
experience blending delicate repetitive music and colourful glitches.
- Zviij : "Sub-system design" (Album/CD) April 2012
A collection of "noisy beats & dark electronics" specially
elaborated for Japanese label Full Volume Agency. The disc contains
39 tracks between weird beats and electronic soundscapes displayed
like an electronic instrumental punk-puzzle. With a raw and direct
sound, this is a full-length album of peculiar alternative beat-making
and obscure electronics.
- Zviij w/ Moog Slim Phatty + Elektron Octatrack (feat. Oto Biscuit) [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#7) by Zviij [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#6) by Zviij [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#5) by Zviij [video]
- Zviij : "Naked flowers" (Album) on
- Zviij : "High heels failure" (5 'single' tracks) on
- The Elektron Tapes (#4) by Zviij [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#3) by Zviij [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#2) by Zviij [video]
- The Elektron Tapes (#1) by Zviij [video]
- Pro X Fade Cross-Fader + Elektron Machines by Zviij [video]
- Two Elektron Machines by Zviij [video]
- Monomachine vs Octatrack by Zviij [video]
- Rosebruit: "Eclipse(s)" (video mapping) [video]
- Drumsynth playing by Zviij [video]
- Zviij (solo electronics) Live in Brussels @ "Bed & Breakfast" (6 May 2011) [video]
- Zviij "Bug Machines" [III] [IV] [V] (SINGLE TRACKS) on
- Official website of Zviij [here]
- Rosebruit: 3 live videos/soundtracks "... by word of mouth"   
- Rosebruit: 15 silent movies [here]
- Le tombeau d'Edgard Varèse by Franck Smith (DIGITAL VERSION) on NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE
- A film by Rosebruit [here]
- Lemon juice & chloroform by Rosebruit/Franck Smith, the soundtrack of eponymous movie,
is available for free-download via Moscow-based netlabel Clinical Archives (ref. ca413) [download]
- Digital tracks of Théorème de point fixe are available on DOWNLOAD!
- First drafts of Rosebruit's official site are viewable [here]
- Videos of Zn'shñ concerts in Tokyo, Japan [here]
Zn'shñ : TOKYO OPERATIONS
(Tour dates in Japan September 2010)
Dual electronics by Franck Smith & Elvire Bastendorff
• 16 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Nana-hari, Tokyo, Japan [video]
• 14 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Super Deluxe, Tokyo, Japan [video]
• 13 Sept. Zn'shñ @ UFO Club, Tokyo, Japan [more]
• 10 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Next Sunday, Tokyo, Japan [video]
• 09 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Flying Teapot, Tokyo, Japan [video]
• 08 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Shibuya Lush, Tokyo, Japan [video]
• 07 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Koenji High, Tokyo, Japan [video]
• 06 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Bar Isshee, Tokyo, Japan [more]
• 05 Sept. Zn'shñ @ Kissa Sakaik, Tokyo, Japan [more]
+ 17 Sept. Franck Smith w/ Ukigumo @ Candy [video]
- Zn'shñ : Butoh sweets — [odl.9173-659] CD!
- Studies on fixed point theorems by Franck Smith is available on Moscow-based netlabel Clinical Archives (ref. ca375) [download]
- Franck Smith solo performance at STEIM, Amsterdam. "Patterns & Pleasure" [video]
- Franck Smith : Théorème de point fixe — [odl.9173-658] CD!
- Radio : "Le mur du son" in Tapage nocturne, special Berlin vol.2 (the Berlin Wall, 20 years later), 21 compositions, feat. "Trümmer" (1:01) by Franck Smith / October 22nd, France Musique 91.7 FM (Paris). [more]
- Radio : Franck Smith in Epsilonia, Radio Libertaire 89.4 FM (Paris), October 22nd, 22h-00. [more]
- Zn'shñ : II — (2nd cd). September 2009. [odl.9173-657]
- Film excerpt : The winter book [view]
- Review : ++ by Zn'shñ [read]
- Review : The winter book (Original soundtrack by Zn'shñ) [read]
- Article : Zn'shñ for glitch and Butoh fans... [article]
- Radio : Franck Smith in Tapage nocturne, France Musique 91.7 FM (Paris). [more]
- Zn'shñ : ++ — (1st official cd release). April 2009. [odl.9173-656]
- Clinical Archives presents : The winter book (28:57) by Zn'shñ ; Original soundtrack — Ref. [ca.231] Free-download [ca231]
- Tecnonucleo's TAO Project : featuring Winter recordings (07:57) by Zn'shñ — Ref. [TN012 V.A.] Free-download [TN012 V.A.]
¶ Next discographic works :
- Publishing w/ audio-realization of Tlü Ejtko's French radiophonic piece Testament d'un bouquet de violettes (2005) written for 2 simultaneous voices. A "phonotic" composition conceived according to principles of "déclinaisons épigraphiques" (sic) as a double continuo and basically influenced by the pattern of Tibetan rituals. (Pending).
¶ Recent video(s)  :
- Zn'shñ + Morihide Sawada @ Next Sunday, Tokyo, Japan [video]
- Zn'shñ + Morihide Sawada @ Koenji High, Tokyo, Japan [video]
- Zn'shñ @ Flying Teapot, Tokyo, Japan [video]
- Zn'shñ @ Nana-hari, Tokyo, Japan [video]
- Zn'shñ + Kouhei Harada @ Shibuya Lush, Tokyo, Japan [video]
- Zn'shñ + A Qui Avec Gabriel + Cal Lyall @ SuperDeluxe, Tokyo, Japan [video]
- Zn'shñ : Butoh sweets (Video of electronic soundtrack studio recording) [video]
Help and patronage|
|Franck Smith, Théorème de point fixe.|
Composed & performed by Franck Smith
Recorded in 2009, Ref: odl.9173-658
Zviij, Sub-system design.
Composed & performed by Zviij
Recorded in 2012, Ref: FVA-6
(...) experimental and primitive sound-activities (...) hybrid acousmatic contexts (...)
neo-archaisms, Japanese Gagaku, Tibetan rituals, Pygmy music (...)
(...) everything linked to noise manufacturing, electronic manoeuvrings — including —
digital percussive devices and vinyl manipulation (...)
BOOKING & CONTACT: odiolorgnette AT hotmail DOT com